Wednesday, March 26, 2008

New York Day 4

Our last day in New York! 
We spent the morning at the American Museum of Natural History. Another place I wish we could have spent more time. We got to go inside the center of the sun, watch the creation of the universe, travel through every continent of the earth, go to the bottom of the ocean, oh, and we went back in time. We had a busy morning.  



From the Natural History Museum, we took a walk across Central Park to the Guggenheim. I was excited to see the Guggenheim since the building itself is a work of art . . . but they were doing some pretty heavy remodeling and the entire outside was wrapped up in scaffolding and plastic wrap. So I have no neat pictures of the outside of the museum.
Because of all the remodeling, most of the Guggenheim's permanent collection was closed, so the majority of what we saw was the art of one Chinese artist. Absolutely amazing - he had cars hanging  from the ceiling, a running pack of 90 life size wolves, a couple of interactive exhibits, a city of people made out of clay, a few ships recovered from the shores of China, and something really new to us . . . gunpowder art! Spending so much time on one artist was a lot of fun!  

We had a little time to kill that evening before heading to the airport, so we walked around the Upper East Side and took a train down to Little Italy for an awesome pasta dinner. The only problem with Little Italy is that there are TOO many places to eat. It took us an hour just to walk around and check out all the restaurants. It was fabulous! 
We took the last flight out of New York that night so we headed to airport as the sun was setting. I was standing in front of our hotel waiting to hail a cab when a guy in this snazzy Lincoln Town Car pulls up and offered to drive us to the airport for the same amount as a taxi (he avoided the $10 toll fees for us). Paul and I felt like high class being driven through Manhattan in a state car. I think this trip was all about pretending, and it worked out so well. 

This trip was undoubtedly our favorite vacation together, and although it feels like a once in a lifetime experience, I hope to be able to travel like this MUCH more often! 

3 comments:

Hilarie said...

Your blog is VERY cute! We aren't in Carrollton anymore. We are in the Buchanan Branch, we live in Bremen. You need to come back, unless you have already, to see the finished building. It's beautiful!

Leslie said...

WOW!! What a trip! I am so jealous! It sounds like you had an amazing time. Thanks for sharing everything that you did. You did a great job of explaining everything. (By the way - I want to have business trips like Paul has business trips!! :)

Jared and Katy said...

Darn the last day, I wish you stayed longer so you could post more, they were so fun to read. I feel like I went to New York through you!