Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What We're Up To

I've had all sorts of questions lately about what we're up to - and so I'll tell you all at once! We live in Athens, but two months ago Paul started working at a law firm in downtown Atlanta. He loves his job, and it's been such a blessing that he found a job that he is so happy with, but his commute can be well over an hour one way to work. I am still a student at the University of Georgia - I am planning on finishing my degree next year (or I might just be a student for the rest of my life ...!), so I am working away on campus every Tuesday and Thursday while Mary goes to play at her friend's houses. Luckily she LOVES going to play with other people twice a week, so it's been great for her. With Paul working in Atlanta and me being a full time student, we are BUSY and the free time we do get together is wonderful! The best part is - my parents are buying  a new house, but they aren't quite ready to move out of their old house yet, so we are renting from them until they kick us out. So we are living in a beautiful house, in a great neighborhood, with entirely too much space for our sparse furnishings. We are loving it while it lasts, and it definitely makes the commute well worth it for now! 
 
I've had plenty of people ask us when we're moving to Atlanta - which is a good question, and one we're definitely working on. We want to buy a house and we'd like to move around the end of this year, so we're starting the house shopping process and saving for the down payment. It is a little overwhelming shopping for houses in Atlanta - we've got 90 miles of city to sort through and since neither of us are attached to any one particular part, we have been looking ALL over and it's kind of tiresome. We thought we had a particular area narrowed down, but after going to look at houses last week - I completely changed my mind. Unfortunately, the places we would love to live are too expensive! As of this week, I am looking in the Powder Springs area, but who knows where next week will find me. I'm sure this whole business will be much easier once we actually decide on an area to live in. If anybody has ANY advice about where to live in Atlanta, feel free to give me all the details. I want it all! 

So there you have it . . . I'll get back to you when anything changes! 

6 comments:

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

Hi Sarah--I hope you don't mind a comment from an acquaintance who blog-hopped over from the Mullins. I am sympathetic to the work of house hunting in Atlanta--we spent about nine months looking on-and-off before we found our place. Buying a house is such a individual decision--I'm not sure I have many tips. If you decide to look in the Gwinnett area, we do have a great Realtor we can recommend.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Natalie said...

The first summer Josh and I were married we lived in the Candler Park area...we absoutley loved it and we loved our ward. Most of the neighborhood is going through gentrification, so I am sure you could find some real deals in the area (but Josh and I just lived in an apartment, so we little expierence as far as the house market in the area.)

What an exciting time...good luck :)

Julie said...

I am totally biased and will say living in 'East Cobb' is the best! They have really good schools. They have reasonably priced homes in the older subdivisions. Other bonuses...you are about 15 miles from the temple and about 80 miles from Athens which means you can still show up for family dinners and visiting with friends!

Tiffany said...

nowhere near powder springs or west cobb county, I'll tell you that much. I liked Canton when we lived there.

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Sarah -- Thanks for all the updates! I enjoyed reading ... are you guys going to Ringgold this weekend?? If so - we'll see you there! Love you guys - R,J,B

Amanda and Daniel McLain said...

Hey Sarah-- it's Amanda McLain. I happened to read your post about looking in Cobb (and Rachel Graham told me that y'all were looking here). We actually live in Powder Springs. If you are still looking around here, we know of a family who just moved out of the ward who needs to sell their house because they moved to Johns Creek. It's a newer house and very nice. They have lowered the price so that they can sell it fast. Anyways.. the address is 2762 Lost Lakes Dr. Powder Springs, Ga. You can look it up if you'd like :-) There are tons of houses for sale around here as I'm sure you already know. Let me know if you need to know anything about the area.