Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wrong Number!

My cell phone number repeats a lot of the same numbers, which brings me daily callers with the wrong number. It always makes me laugh how getting a wrong number call can turn into such an ordeal. I got two yesterday that just made me laugh -

One of my favorite calls is when you have to convince somebody that your phone number is actually your phone number - I know this guy was just being thorough since he had been given the wrong information, but he wasn't giving up! 

RING
Me: Hello?
Guy: Hi, can I speak to Derek Newman?
Me: Oh, You must have the wrong number.
Guy: Really? Is this 555-555-5555? 
Me: Yep, that's this number.
Guy: And there's no Derek Newman there?
Me: Nope, no Derek, I think you have the wrong number. 
Guy: Really? Because the number we have here is for a Derek Newman at 555-555-5555.
Me: Yeah, that's my number. You have the wrong number.
Guy: There's no Derek Newman that lives there? 
Me: Nope, my name is Sarah and I don't think I even know anybody named Derek
Guy: So, your number is 555-555-5555?
Me: Yep, that's my cell phone number. Just me, no Derek. 
Guy: Hmm. Alright, well thank you.
Me: Bye. 

30 seconds later the phone rings again
Me: Hello?
Same Guy: Hi, can I speak to Derek Newman?
Me: Hi, it's still me. It's the same number.
Guy: Oh, so this is 555-555-5555?
. . .

And the BEST wrong numbers usually go a little something like this-
Me: Hello?
Lady: HELLO?!!?
Me: Hello?
Lady: WHO AM I TALKING TO?! 
Me: What number did you call?
Lady: WHO IS THIS?!
Me: I think you must have the wrong number
Lady: HELLO?! 
Me: okay, bye. 
This situation happens much more than I would expect. It's always a different person, but I'm almost positive they must have dialed their phone in the dark and are talking to me through the wrong end.   

8 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I had a friend in college who would receive phone calls at ALL hours of the day from strangers who would quickly hang up. The person would automatically say, "oh, wrong number." My friend wondered why people knew they had the wrong number just by saying hello.

One day I went to dial time and temperature and hit one number wrong: I got my friend.

When I told him his new number was one digit off time and temperature, he had his number changed again.

Unknown said...

ah, the hostile suspicious accusatory wrong number dialer. good times.

Krista said...

Evan also gets at LEAST one call a day for someone else. Lucky you guys. I love the crazy old black women who can't hear anything! It's like they're angry that they couldn't just pick up the phone and magically be connected to the person they wanted to talk to! I had something else really important I wanted to say, and now I can't remember. That's why I'm just rambling... hm. Oh well.

Tiffany said...

I accidently called someone and had the wrong number. Upon learning my mistake, I apologized and hung up. Five seconds later the same number called me back and said "this is my husband's phone, who is this?" I told her I had the wrong number when I called the first time. She hung up and called back. I ignored it that time. Third time she called, Russ answered my phone. She never called again.

Amber said...

I used to have a man call my number all the time. His son had my same number with a different area code. After awhile, I would just say, oh wrong area code again, he'd laugh, and hang up.

Jared and Katy said...

oh that would get old

The Flynn's said...

Our number in Athens was just one number off from The Pottery store in Commerce and I got at least 10 wrong # calls from them everyday! It got a little old after 6 years!! But hey, at least now I'll never forget their number.

Jess said...

That is so hilarious.... but I am glad that doesn't repeatedly happen to me -